Metal over asphalt shingles

Guest User
1/29/2010
I am getting estimates on a metal roof. My exsiting roof is asphalt shingle which is in need of repair. Several roofers have told me that it is OK to put the metal over the shingle. It makes sense to me but I have concerns because one roofer recommended removing the shingles. In some ways, the extra protection of the shingle seems like a good idea. thank you
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
2/7/2010
Many metal roofs are well suited to go over old shingles. Check with the metal roofing manufacturer if necessary.
Guest User
2/9/2010
I get asked this question all the time. Here's my answer: Installing over the shingles doesn't harm the metal, and the roof should be fine. However, with the emphasis placed on energy effeciency these days, I think you are better off removing the old shingles. Even with a reflective roof over them, the shingles will still heat up in the summer and hold a lot of heat that will radiate into the home all night. I think your utility bill will be better without all that thermal mass.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.