Have questions? Ask the experts.

Ask-The-Experts forum

Below is a forum for exchanging information concerning residential metal roofing, including general material and metal roofing installation questions. Should you have questions or concerns that deal with specific branded metal roof products please contact the manufacturer directly.

Ask-The-Experts > Other

Best Ridge vent for my roof
I am installing a 22ga standing seam metal roof on my home. I plan on adding a ridge vent. I am turning the metal end to the ridge line up in order to stop any driving water issues. I am just wondering what your suggestion for what type of vent should i use? Cora-vent, Versa-vent, or any suggestion would be nice. I made up an homemade type but i am not very trusting of it sense i am not a professional. I am also removing the gable vent and as for the soffit i am removing the old ply-wood sheet and replacing the complete soffit with screen and then vinyl soffit panels so it should breathe enuff. The main part of my home is 1000 sq feet and i figured 30 feet of ridge would be plenty. Please advise and thank you.
Does your standing seam manufacturer have a prescribed ridge vent detail? They really should.
Yes. It consists of dura-vent. The Z bar is to be placed then the dura-vent on top then the ridge cap to be screwed through them. I was just reading where others have had water leak issues. I am doing the work myself and the owner is completely against the sponge type vent material because he says it will clog up and not allow the ridge to breathe.
cor a vent has a pretty good detail for this that I have seen used successfully. If the roof has a very low pitch that adds extra complexity. Also, have you looked at the product named ProfileVent?
I did check this product but they do not mention anything on a Firestone 2 inch standing seam 18 inch panel. If there is any other product you can come up with i do thank you for your expert opinion.
My company manufactures a ridge vent called Perma Vent that we normally only sell with our own metal roofing systems but it would work with other metal roofs as well. We do not promote it on the web because it is usually only used with our roofs. It is an all metal ridge vent. Email me at tmiller@classicroof.com if you'd like some info on it.
Even more important than the amount of ridge vent is the amount of soffit venting.

Do you have enough of that? Too much ridge venting relative to soffit venting is a bad thing. You should always have 2:1 soffit:ridge venting.

Author:      Email:

If you have a metal roofing question, please post it above and a member of our panel of contributors will provide a response. Answers provided by contributors are based on the limited information posted and, therefore, may not provide a complete or accurate answer under all of the relevant facts and circumstances. No advice or information obtained through the forum or this website shall create any warranty by MRA or its contributors whatsoever and all warranties are disclaimed. MRA and its contributors disclaim any liability of any kind arising out of or relating to use of the answers or information provided hereunder, and by using the forum, you agree to waive any claims against MRA and its contributors and hold them harmless from any liability or damages of any kind arising out of or relating to the forum. For a detailed description of the terms and conditions of use of the Forum and this website, including a more detailed description of disclaimers of warranties and limitations of liability, please see the Terms and Conditions section of this website. MRA does not endorse or recommend any commercial products, processes, or services. The views and opinions of contributors to this Forum do not necessarily state or reflect those of MRA or its members, and they may not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

• Read industry related articles about metal roofing.
  • View all the types and styles of metal roofing
  • Locate a metal roofing contractor near your home
Find a contractor near your home